Friday, June 27, 2008

Album of the Week

this week we have an oldie but goody. for me this album marks a true segway from the wild animal sound of the Birthday Party to the stark nihilistic sound of the early Bad Seeds stuff. it is my opinion that Blixa Bargeld (Einstuerzende Neubauten) had a huge impact on the sound of this album. his dissonant guitar noise's make for an ominously brooding feeling thru the album.
covers of Elvis Presley's, "In the Ghetto"(CD only) and Leonard Cohen's "Avalanche" are my current favorites. this may not be the Bad Seeds most "accesible" album but for any fan a must have. this is my second round with this album. initially when I bought it, '99ish. back then my favs were "Saint Huck" and the title track. one of those rare albums where there is only a couple of optional FF's (>>) but a lot of REWamS (<<). other albums in this category are Thriller (MJ), EVOL (SY)and Bona Drag (Morrissey), all of which will get there turn I am sure.

No comments: